Common questions about emails
In this article, we collect the most common questions that can occur with e-mails. Of course, we will provide you with appropriate solutions.
Table of Contents
- Basic Knowledge
- Email limitations
- Using DMARC and DKIM?
- Amount of mailboxes per customer
- Does the mail transfer require a domain transfer?
- Getting too much spam?
- Emails getting "lost"
- Emails can be received but not sent
- Error message: Client host 22.214.171.124 blocked using XBL
- Server unavailable
- Emails come back with an error message (bounce)
- Mailbox Backup & Restore
Basic knowledge and reporting
- Is the website and or the e-mail feature active?
- Are the DNS settings correct?
- Are the credentials correct?
- Do you have an active internet connection?
- Does your firewall maybe interfere?
In any case, when you report an issue to us, please make sure you have checked all these bullet points, before you send us a mail. With the mail to our support, please make sure to include the following information at all times:
- What is the domain / mail address / website ID?
- Are you using any additional programs like Firewalls or mail clients?
- Have you checked the points mentioned above?
- Do you get any error message? Copy and paste it for us or try making a screencast.
There is a limit for the storage size of email accounts per domain at 25 GB. If you like to upgrade the storage size, you can do so by adding 25 GB per month per domain for only $2.99/ €2,99. Please contact us via mail if you like our assistance. The limit to send mails is 500 per day.
Using DMARC and DKIM?
It is possible to set up a DMARC record in the DNS settings. However, we do not offer DKIM and are currently not planning to do so. You are able to vote for this feature in our community, though!
Amount of mailboxes per customer
Does the mail transfer require a domain transfer?
Getting too much spam?
Are you getting too much spam? We got a nice guide for you here!
Emails getting "lost"
If you have the feeling that your emails are "lost" this can have several causes. First of all, Sitejet does not delete any of your emails unless you explicitly set it to do so.
Access via IMAP? There are two ways to retrieve emails: POP3 and IMAP. With IMAP, emails remain on the server (cloud) and you work more or less directly on the server. With POP3, the emails are retrieved, (in the most common case) removed from the server, and are only available on the retrieving end device, e.g. your computer or your smartphone. If an e-mail box is retrieved simultaneously by device A via IMAP and device B via POP3, device B removes the email from the server, and device A's mailbox is empty.
If you are accessing your mails via IMAP, it could have happened, that the mail was removed from one device, therefore being removed completely. This is usually the case.
Emails can be received but not sent
Error message: Client host 126.96.36.199 blocked using XBL
Emails come back with an error message (bounce)
- Log into your email account.
- Change the password for the affected mailbox. This will automatically unlock the mailbox. Make sure that you do not use a password that you have used before. Also use a strong password (at least 8 characters, upper and lower case, special characters, the longer, the better).
- Now set the new password on all your devices that access the affected mailbox. Don't forget your mobile devices in the process.
- It's best to wait a day before sending more emails.
- Alternative: there are also cases when the same email - especially from older versions of Microsoft Outlook - gets "stuck" in the outbox and is sent from there every minute. In this case, you should have your Outlook checked by a technician or change the e-mail program.
Mailbox Backup & Restore
When you have falsely deleted your email account, try re-creating the same mailbox. E-mails are not purged immediately when the mailbox is removed. If it is too late, you might have to consider a backup and restore from us. The costs for this kind of backup would be €499 per mailbox, regardless of the volume of mails.
- Email address / Website ID
- Info in which postbox the mails were located
- Roughly the deletion dates
- If applicable, creation date (for individual emails, to prevent unnecessary effort if the most recent backup before the deletion date is older than the actual email)
If we need more information, we will get back to you as quickly as possible. Please also confirm that you are aware of the costs for this and will apply to the costs.
Become a part of our Community!
Exchange ideas with other web designers about current developments, tips, and tricks and show your favorite sites. Get advice and talk to us about possible features you would like to see on Sitejet. You can join the Sitejetters community here.