Transfer a domain to Sitejet
In this article, we will explain everything you need to know in order to successfully transfer a domain that is already registered with another provider to Sitejet.
Table of contents
Before you get started, here are a few things you should prepare for:
- Is the customer data in the Customer Portal current? This information should be up-to-date because it is used for the domain registration. You can update this data anytime in the CRM (customer relationship manager) by navigating to the relevant project, opening the drop-down menu for "Customer View" or "More", and clicking "Customer data".
- Does the domain you would like to transfer to Sitejet already have email accounts? If so, the email messages in these accounts should be backed up locally or moved using our email transfer tool. If this doesn't happen before the domain transfer, then the emails will be lost. You can find more information on how the email transfer tool works here.
- Is the authorization code available? The code is required during the transfer process in order to identify you as the legitimate owner of the domain.
Step 1: Locate the authorization code
To move a domain from one host to another, it is always necessary to have the authorization code, also known as an auth code, EPP code, or transfer key. You can get this code from your current domain provider. It is usually available in the customer portal, or by asking customer support.
Tip: If you want to move your domain from Sitejet to a different host, simply send us a message at email@example.com.
Step 2: Add the domain
After finding the authorization code for your domain, the next step is to add the domain in the Domain Manager, which you can find in the relevant project under the "More" drop-down menu.
When adding the domain, make sure that you enter it without any special characters or subdomains. For example, you would enter the domain as "your-website.com" rather than "www.your-website.com/".
Tip: If you want to publish the website directly, tick the box which says "Active".
Step 3: Transfer the domain
If you already have email addresses associated with the domain you would like to transfer, we strongly recommend that you create backup copies of all email messages before transferring the domain to Sitejet. Otherwise, they will be deleted. For information on how to do this with Sitejet, please see the article about our email transfer tool.
To transfer a domain, simply follow these steps:
- Enter the domain name, then click "Register" in the Domain Manager.
- Check the customer data, and update it if necessary.
- Enter the authorization code in the field for "AuthCode".
- Click "Register".
More information can be found in this article about domains with Sitejet. This article explains, for example, how to secure your website and how to configure DNS settings.
If this is the only domain you want to add for this project, it will be used as the "Main domain" by default. Having a primary domain is optimal from a search engine optimization standpoint, therefore Sitejet automatically sets a primary domain as default, while any other domains are automatically redirected to the "Main domain".
Things to be aware of when transferring domains
When you want to move your website to Sitejet, you have to make sure that you follow a couple of steps to avoid a decrease in your pages’ rank. To make this process a bit easier on you, we created this list of the most important steps you need to take to maintain your rank or even improve it.
You can also use our handy "move your website" checklist.
1. Avoid 404s at all costs
This is the number one thing you want to avoid. Make sure that all your previous pages’ links, external and internal ones alike, actually end up somewhere other than the dreaded 404 pages. You either want to create a duplicate of the old structure with matching names or at least add redirections for undesirable sub-pages you don’t want to keep, because even if you remove them, Google will still remember them all. Follow these steps to find all your links and add them to a spreadsheet for easy access and to avoid confusion:
- Manually scrape all your links from your website
- Use a scraping tool to find your links
- Check google for all search results
- Keep your SEO Settings or improve them
When you get to your SEO settings, like your page description, its title and everything else, you want to make sure to keep it at least the same or, even better, improve them. As Google improves its ranking algorithm over time, the prerequisites for a good ranking will change as well. So, you might want to use this opportunity to update yourself on current SEO standards to improve your rank. While you are at it, you might even want to take a look at the content of your website. There are a couple of dos and don’ts you want to adhere to when it comes to Google and user-friendly content. While there aren’t any specific routes to success, there are, however, a lot of well-researched guides that can point you in the right direction.
2. Optimize your loading speed
When you re-upload your images so Sitejet, you should optimize them if you haven’t done so already. This is one of the most important factors that impact your page speed. We recommend you look up a couple of guides about image optimization, but we will also list a few quick things you can do right now:
- Optimized JPGs are smaller than PNGs except when using solid colors
- Illustrations should be done in vector format
- Run your images through an image compressor if you don’t have access to tools like Photoshop or Gimp
If you have the time, feel free to read through this image optimization guide by Google.
3. Test all Google search results again
This is the last quality check you need to do before you can call it all done. Even with the rigorous testing, you have done beforehand, you might have missed a link or two. So, use the opportunity to double-check this one last time.
That sums up our top tips for successfully transferring a domain to Sitejet. There are of course a couple of factors which you can’t control, like server speed and up-time, but we have taken care of that for you by providing a reliable and fast infrastructure for all your websites.