Connect to third-party domains
There are several reasons why the desired domain for your website may be registered with a host other than Sitejet. If you decide to leave the domain with another provider instead of moving it to Sitejet, you can still connect to it and use it with your Sitejet website. You can use DNS entries to connect your website with the third-party domain. You can find out what these entries look like and where you enter them in this article.
In general, we recommend that you transfer your domain to Sitejet. These are the advantages:
- We can offer you fast, first-class support in all aspects of your website
- You can manage all settings concerning your website and domain from within in Sitejet
Table of contents
An "A record" is used to let web browsers know that your website isn't hosted on the server of your domain provider. It forwards the browsers to another server where your site is actually hosted. The server where your site is hosted is indicated by an IP address. IP addresses are sequences of numbers that identify servers and other devices, such as computers and smartphones, connected to the internet so that they can communicate with each other. An A record is one of several possible DNS records that affect the behavior of your domain. You can read more about DNS records in our article about domains at Sitejet.
Since there are now a large number of domain providers, you will find a general guide below. If you have any questions, please contact our support team at email@example.com.
To enable forwarding, you need to first add your domain to the project from within the Domain Manager and then edit the DNS records for your domain from the domain registrar's customer portal. You can find out whether you can do this from the customer portal of your domain provider if you are not sure if you have access or not.
1. Add your domain in the Sitejet Domain Manager
Adding the domain to the project is what lets our servers know which project you intend to display once you point your domain to Sitejet in the next step. To add your domain to the website project, inside the Website Project Manager click "More" and select "Domain Manager" from the dropdown menu.
Then click "+ Domain" and enter your domain in the format of "your-domain.com" and hit "[Enter]" on your keyboard. There is no need to click "Register" as the domain is already registered with another provider.
2. Add new DNS entries with your domain registrar
Next, you will edit the DNS records for your domain. Within the customer portal of your domain provider, there is an area commonly found in the domain management settings, often called "DNS entries". Here you should be able to create further DNS entries for the domain and edit existing ones.
Please create two new entries in this area using the following data:
|@ (or leave this field blank)||A||3600||22.214.171.124|
To provide additional availability security through redundancy, you can set two additional A records pointing to our redundant server:
|@ (or leave this field blank)||A||3600||126.96.36.199|
To enable Sitejet to also manage email addresses, enter the following entries also:
|TXT||v=spf1 mx -all|
If you already have an A record, delete it, or change the IP address to the one specified under "Value" in the table above and make sure all the other entries are added.
If you have created subdomains for your website, please also create an A record for it. The entry for the subdomain "info" (as in "info.your-site.com") would look like this:
Here, too, it makes sense to create an additional entry for the redundant server.
After you have created or edited these entries, you can check whether the forwarding works either with the help of external tools such as dnschecker.org, or by entering your domain in the address bar of your browser: if you see your Sitejet website in your browser, the redirection already works. If not, the change may take a while before it takes effect. This process can take up to 24 hours. In this case, try again at a later time.
- Missing A record for www. Please make sure that you set A records for both names, your-website.com and www.your-website.com. Normally this entry is not necessary, but in rare cases without this entry there will be problems, so we recommend always setting it
- Existing AAAA records. Remove these if you are still seeing the old website on some devices
- If your domain is "your-website.com", you should write "@", "www" or nothing into the Name field rather than the full domain name ("www.your-website.com").
- If, despite correct information, the forwarding does not work, it is possible that less than 24 hours have elapsed since the change was made. In this case, please wait a little longer. The process can take up to 24 hours to complete.
- There are several A records that point to different servers/IP addresses. Please delete all entries that do not point to the two IP addresses listed above.
Be sure to check out our article about transferring your domain to Sitejet if you would like to benefit from the ease of managing your website and domain all in one place.