Connect to third-party domains
There are several reasons why the desired domain for your website may be registered with a host other than Sitejet. If you decide to leave the domain with another provider instead of moving it to Sitejet, you can still connect to it and use it with your Sitejet website. You can use DNS entries to connect your website with the third-party domain. You can find out what these entries look like and where you enter them in this article.
In general, we recommend that you transfer your domain to Sitejet. These are the advantages:
- We can offer you fast, first-class support in all aspects of your website
- You can manage all settings concerning your website and domain from within in Sitejet
Table of contents
An "A-Record" is used to let web browsers know that your website isn't hosted on the server of your domain provider. It forwards the browsers to another server where your site is actually hosted. The server where your site is hosted is indicated by an IP address. IP addresses are sequences of numbers that identify servers and other devices, such as computers and smartphones, connected to the internet so that they can communicate with each other. An A record is one of several possible DNS records that affect the behavior of your domain. You can read more about DNS records in our article about domains at Sitejet.
Since there are now a large number of domain providers, you will find a general guide below. If you have any questions, please contact our support team at email@example.com.
To enable forwarding, you need to first add your domain to the project from within the Domain Manager and then edit the DNS records for your domain from the domain registrar's customer portal. You can find out whether you can do this from the customer portal of your domain provider if you are not sure if you have access or not.
1. Add your domain in the Sitejet Domain Manager
Adding the domain to the project is what lets our servers know which project you intend to display once you point your domain to Sitejet in the next step. To add your domain to the website project, inside the Website Project Manager you can either click on "Register domain" or use the ellipsis icon (...) and select "Manage domains" from the dropdown menu.
If you're using the list view of the Website Project Manager, you can click "Actions" and select "Manage domains" from the dropdown menu.
If you're in the Detail View you can also use the "Actions" button and select "Manage domains" from the dropdown menu.
Then click "+ Domain" and enter your domain in the format of "your-domain.com" and click "Search".
- At the top, you can see which A records are currently set. Please note that changes in the DNS settings can take up to 48 hours before they are displayed here.
- The MX records that are currently set are displayed next. More information about MX records can be found in the glossary of our domain article. If you want your emails to continue to be handled by your other provider rather than Sitejet, don't change the MX records.
- Near the bottom is where you can enable SSL encryption and Sitejet email management if you choose. If you want to continue managing your email addresses with your other provider, you don't need to check "Email".
- Click "Continue".
- Select whether or not you would like to publish the website at this stage, and then click "Finish".
2. Edit DNS entries with your domain registrar
Next, you will edit the DNS records for your domain. Within the customer portal of your domain provider, there is an area commonly found in the domain management settings, often called "DNS entries". Here you should be able to create further DNS entries for the domain and edit existing ones.
Please set the following DNS settings for the existing domain:
|@ (or blank)|| A
| @ (or blank)
To enable e-mail services through Sitejet, please also add the following DNS settings:
|@ (or blank)||MX||mx1.sitehub.io||3600|
|@ (or blank)||MX||mx2.sitehub.io||3600|
|@ (or blank)||TXT||v=spf1 mx -all||3600|
SPF TXT Records
If you are using a contact form on the website, also check to see if a "spf" dns record has been set up. spf records ensure that third parties don't use your email address to send spam, for example. These entries usually look like this:
v=spf1 mx -all
The parts in bold are standard values, the part in between varies from supplier to supplier. "mx" here means that all servers specified by the MX records are allowed to send email on behalf of this domain. By default, only those servers that are explicitly specified are allowed to send emails. Therefore, ensure that either the email addresses are managed by Sitejet or that you add the following after "v=spf1":
Afterwards, the above entry would look like this:
v=spf1 a:mx1.sitehub.io a:mx2.sitehub.io mx -all
This ensures that Sitejet is allowed to send email notifications if a website visitor submits a contact form.
After you have created or edited these entries, you can check whether the forwarding works either with the help of external tools such as dnschecker.org or by entering your domain in the address bar of your browser: if you see your Sitejet website in your browser, the redirection is already working. If not, the change may take a while before it takes effect. This process can take up to 24 hours. In this case, try again at a later time.
- Missing record for www. Please make sure that you set records for both names, your-website.com and www.your-website.com.
- Existing records (A, AAAA or CNAME) for the same name. Remove these if you are still seeing the old website on some devices
- If your domain is "your-website.com", you should write "@", "www" or nothing into the Name field rather than the full domain name ("www.your-website.com").
- If, despite correct information, the forwarding does not work, it is possible that less than 24 hours have elapsed since the change was made. In this case, please wait a little longer. The process can take up to 24 hours to complete.
- There are several A records that point to different servers/IP addresses. Please delete all entries that do not point to the two IP addresses listed above.
Be sure to check out our article about transferring your domain to Sitejet if you would like to benefit from the ease of managing your website and domain all in one place.
Become a part of our Community!
Exchange ideas with other web designers about current developments, tips, and tricks and show your favorite sites. Get advice and talk to us about possible features you would like to see on Sitejet. You can join the Sitejetters community here.