Elements - Custom error pages
To keep a website visitor from leaving when an error occurs, you can create custom error pages to inform them of the issue. In this article, we will explain how to create this type of page in Sitejet.
Table of contents
The two most common errors that can occur when a user visits a website are the "404 - page not found" and "403 - access denied" errors. If there are no custom error pages created for these, then an unappealing white page with black text will appear informing the user of the problem. This leaves a bad impression and discourages many website visitors, causing them to leave the page. To prevent this from happening, Sitejet allows you to create your own custom error pages.
Error pages in Sitejet
To create custom error pages, follow these steps:
- At the top of the Website Builder (CMS), click on "Pages" in the menu
- Create a new page from the "Pages" menu by clicking on "+ New page" or one of the "+" signs which appear on the left side when hovering over the menu
- Give your newly-created page a suitable name according to the type of error
- Click on "SEO & details" for the page
- In the "Type" field, select either "403 Page" or "404 Page"
Depending on which "Type" you select when creating the page, either "403 Page" or "404 Page", the page will be displayed in the future whenever the respective error occurs.
In the below screenshot, you'll find the "Pages" menu with an example of how to configure the error page when creating it.
Then, you can edit the page just as you would with any other page via the Website Builder (CMS).