Connect to a GoDaddy domain
If you have already registered your desired domain with GoDaddy, you can connect it to your website in Sitejet. This connection is created by setting A and MX records in your domain's DNS settings. In this article, we'll walk you through how to do it.
Table of contents
DNS settings at a glance
|@ (or blank)|| A
The following A records can also be set for additional security:
|@ (or blank)|| A
To manage emails via Sitejet:
|TXT|| v=spf1 mx -all
- Open the Domain Manager from the Website Project Manager by clicking on either "Publish website" or "Register domain", or by selecting "Domain Manager" from the "More" menu.
- Click on "+ Domain" to start the domain wizard.
- Enter the already registered, third-party domain you would like to connect with Sitejet and click "Search".
Enter the domain without any additions or subdomains, in the following format: "example.com", rather than "http://www.example.com/".
Since the domain is already registered, you should get the following message:
Click on "Connect domain from external domain provider" to find the following information on the next screen:
- At the top, you can see which A records are currently set. Please note that changes in the DNS settings can take up to 48 hours before they are displayed here.
- The MX records that are currently set are displayed next. More information about MX records can be found in the glossary of our domain article. If you want your emails to continue to be handled by GoDaddy rather than Sitejet, don't change the MX records.
- Near the bottom is where you can enable SSL encryption and Sitejet email management if you choose. If you want to continue managing your email addresses with GoDaddy, you don't need to check "Email".
- Click "Continue".
- Select whether or not you would like to publish the website at this stage, and then click "Finish".
Adjust DNS settings with GoDaddy
Once you log into GoDaddy, you will usually find yourself in your product overview ("My Products"). If you expand the "Domains" section here, you can click on the "DNS" button directly next to the relevant domain.
From the DNS records overview, you can now edit the A record for the name "@" and add one for "www". To edit, just click on the pencil icon beside the entry.
Now, as shown in the picture below, you can simply enter Sitejet's IP address, 188.8.131.52, under "Points to" and change the TTL to "1 hour" and click on save.
To add another entry, click "Add" and select "A" from the options.
To make things even more secure, you can set an additional A record for our redundant server by clicking on "Add" in the overview and setting an A record for the IP address 184.108.40.206. An A record with the host or name "www", usually required for many other providers, is not necessary in this case.
If you have AAAA records, please delete them as they can cause conflicts.
To enable Sitejet's email management, you can enter the necessary MX records in the same way.
Please note that DNS settings are not always sent immediately to all servers on the Internet! In some cases, it can take up to 72 hours for your site to be displayed correctly on all devices.