Connect to a 1&1 domain
If you have already registered your desired domain with 1&1, you can connect it to your website in Sitejet. This connection is created by setting A and MX records in your domain's DNS settings. In this article, we'll walk you through how to do it.
Table of contents
DNS settings at a glance
|@ (or blank)|| A
The following A records can also be set for additional security:
|@ (or blank)|| A
To manage emails via Sitejet:
|TXT|| v=spf1 mx -all
To connect a third-party domain with Sitejet, proceed as follows:
- Open the Domain Manager from the Website Project Manager by clicking on either "Publish website" or "Register domain", or by selecting "Domain Manager" from the "More" menu.
- Click on "+ Domain" to start the domain wizard.
- Enter the already registered, third-party domain you would like to connect with Sitejet and click "Search".
Enter the domain without any additions or subdomains, in the following format: "example.com", rather than "http://www.example.com/".
Since the domain is already registered, you should get the following message:
Click on "Connect domain from external domain provider" to find the following information on the next screen:
- At the top, you can see which A records are currently set. Please note that changes in the DNS settings can take up to 48 hours before they are displayed here.
- The MX records that are currently set are displayed next. More information about MX records can be found in the glossary of our domain article. If you want your emails to continue to be handled by 1&1 rather than Sitejet, don't change the MX records.
- Near the bottom is where you can enable SSL encryption and Sitejet email management if you choose. If you want to continue managing your email addresses with 1&1, you don't need to check "Email".
- Click "Continue".
- Select whether or not you would like to publish the website at this stage, and then click "Finish".
After the domain has been entered in the Domain Manager, the next step is to change the DNS settings of your domain with 1&1. You will find out how to do this in the next section of this article.
Adjust DNS settings with 1&1
Once you are logged in to 1&1 (Ionos), click "Select Product" and select "Domains & SSL from the drop-down menu.
Here is where you get an overview of all your domains. Click on the cogwheel settings icon by the relevant domain and select "DNS" to access the DNS settings.
Next, you will be taken to the DNS overview, where you can see all your DNS entries at a glance. The default settings with 1&1 usually look like what you see in the below screenshot.
Tip: Sort the entries by "type" so you see the relevant entries (A records) displayed directly at the top, and so they are grouped for an even better overview.
To connect your 1&1 domain to a Sitejet website, your A records will need to be adjusted. Just follow these steps:
- Click on the cogwheel settings icon to the right of one of the A records
- Click "Edit Record"
- Fill out the form as shown in the below screenshot
When editing the A records, you can just enter Sitejet's IP address, 220.127.116.11, and set the TTL to one hour. Most of the time the TTL is already preset. Next, click "Save".
Repeat these steps for the second A record if it was not changed automatically. After that, you can enter further A records for www and @ which refer to the IP address of our redundant server, 18.104.22.168, just to be on the safe side.
Please delete any AAAA records for www and @, otherwise they can lead to conflicts.
If you want to manage your emails with Sitejet instead of 1&1, then all that remains to set are the MX and TXT records, which you can customize and create just like A records.
Please note that DNS settings are not always transmitted immediately to all servers on the Internet! In some cases, it can take up to 72 hours for your page to be displayed correctly on all devices.