Connect to a Hostgator domain
If you have already registered your desired domain with Hostgator, you can connect it to your website in Sitejet. This connection is created by setting A and MX records in your domain's DNS settings. In this article, we'll walk you through how to do it.
Table of contents
DNS settings at a glance
|@ (or blank)|| A
| @ (or blank)
To manage emails via Sitejet:
|@ (or blank)||MX||mx1.sitehub.io||3600|
|@ (or blank)||MX||mx2.sitehub.io||3600|
|@ (or blank)||TXT||v=spf1 mx -all|| 3600
To connect a third-party domain with Sitejet, proceed as follows:
- Open the Domain Manager from the Website Project Manager by clicking on "Register domain", or by selecting "Manage domains" from the "Actions" menu.
- Click on "+ Domain" to start the domain wizard.
- Enter the already registered, third-party domain you would like to connect with Sitejet and click "Search".
Enter the domain without any additions or subdomains, in the following format: "example.com", rather than "http://www.example.com/".
Since the domain is already registered, you should get the following message:
Click on "Connect domain from external domain provider" to find the following information on the next screen:
- At the top, you can see which A records are currently set. Please note that changes in the DNS settings can take up to 48 hours before they are displayed here.
- The MX records that are currently set are displayed next. More information about MX records can be found in the glossary of our domain article. If you want your emails to continue to be handled by Hostgator rather than Sitejet, don't change the MX records.
- Near the bottom is where you can enable SSL encryption and Sitejet email management if you choose. If you want to continue managing your email addresses with Hostgator, you don't need to check "Email".
- Click "Continue".
- Select whether or not you would like to publish the website at this stage, and then click "Finish".
After the domain has been entered in the Domain Manager, the next step is to change the DNS settings of your domain with Hostgator. You will find out how to do this in the next section of this article.
Adjust DNS settings with Hostgator
With Hostgator, DNS entries can be edited using the cPanel tool. cPanel is a web-based web server configuration tool, access to which is only available for an extra charge. If you want to change the DNS entries in HostGator without cPanel, you'll have to contact their support to request changes or add more entries.
To connect a Sitejet website to your HostGator domain, please add the A records listed in the " DNS settings at a glance" section.
Please delete any AAAA records for www and @, otherwise they can lead to conflicts.
If you want to manage your emails with Sitejet instead of Hostgator, then all that remains to set are the MX and TXT records, which you can customize and create just like A records.
Please note that DNS settings are not always transmitted immediately to all servers on the Internet! In some cases, it can take up to 72 hours for your page to be displayed correctly on all devices.
Become a part of our Community!
Exchange ideas with other web designers about current developments, tips, and tricks and show your favorite sites. Get advice and talk to us about possible features you would like to see on Sitejet. You can join the Sitejetters community here.